ZONING OFFICER/INSPECTOR II
Department: Planning & Zoning Division: Land Use
Union: AFSCME 2859 Grade/Level: B
Salary Range: $49,999.99 – $70,000.00/yr.
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Land Use and working closely with other department staff, the principal role of this position is to perform the duties of Zoning Officer as dictated by the Municipal Land Use Law including review of building permits for compliance with Zoning variances and enforcing the provisions of the Zoning and Property Maintenance ordinances.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform duties of the Zoning Officer as dictated by the Municipal Land Use Law.
- Enforce the provisions of the Township’s Land Development Ordinance and Property Maintenance Code.
- Review building permits and other applications for modifications to sites and buildings for compliance with zoning ordinances.
- Answer questions from the public, real estate professionals and lending institutions on requirements for zoning.
- Review all applications for change in occupancy or tenancy.
- Consult with architects, owners, and contractors on compliance problems.
- May assist in the promulgation of zoning regulations.
- Direct the establishment and maintenance of essential records and files.
- Conduct field inspections to ensure compliance with zoning regulations and applicable rules; Respond to all complaints or allegations of non-compliance; Conduct follow-up inspections and other investigations to ensure compliance.
- Track and/or deposit money received by the Department.
- Participate in the Township’s stormwater inspection program.
- Identify non-compliant conditions and initiate appropriate enforcement actions against violators.
- Prepare and file all associated correspondence and paperwork.
- Input and update violation matters in Township’s computerized violation tracking system.
- Represent the Department before Court on zoning violation matters.
- Perform other related duties and tasks as required/assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of provisions of the local building code and zoning ordinance after a period of training.
- Knowledge of the effective means of obtaining and maintaining proper liaison between municipal authorities and private contractors.
- Ability to analyze and interpret the local zoning ordinance and other local ordinances that apply to buildings, and state and county laws, rules, regulations, and policies applicable to buildings, zoning, and sanitation.
- Ability to prepare clear, sound, accurate, and informative reports containing findings, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and computerized information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
- Ability to achieve compliance with local zoning regulations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to deal with people under adverse conditions.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate with public, management and coworkers with tact and professionalism.
- Ability to understand survey/plot plans and perform basic office duties.
- Strong organization skills.
- Ability to work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and Outlook, and ability to learn violation tracking software.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to learn requirements of the Zoning Ordinance and Property Maintenance Ordinance in order to enforce compliance.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Three (3) years of experience in the preparation and revision of building construction plans and specifications or in the fulltime inspection and enforcement of municipal zoning laws and regulations.
- Must possess Valid NJ Driver’s License.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- Telephone, personal computer, copy machine, postage machine, fax machine, calculator, cash register, scanner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects.
- Requires physical stamina to climb, stand and walk in the performance of duties in all weather conditions and no physical impairment limiting ability to perform all duties.
- Employee must lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet office environment to loud construction sites.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Applications available on the Township website:www.franklintwpnj.org
ALL QUALIFIED APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE CONSIDERATION FOR EMPLOYMENT WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, GENDER, GENDER IDENTITY OR EXPRESSION, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, GENETICS, DISABILITY, AGE OR VETERAN STATUS.
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN IS A DRUG FREE WORK PLACE.
PART TIME / ASSISTANT TO THE LAND USE BOARDS / BUILDING DEPARTMENT
BOROUGH OF ORADELL, BERGEN COUNTY:
Assistant to the Land Use Boards – part time position, maximum 29 hours per week. Applicant shall have
experience in all phases of the Land Use application process. Applicant will also be required to take minutes
of the Planning and Zoning Boards meetings. Computer skills a must. Applicant shall assist with clerical
duties in the Building Department as directed by the Construction Official / Land Use Administrator.
Applicant shall be highly organized individual with excellent communication skills.
Send resume / salary history to:
ORADELL BUILDING DEPARTMENT
C/O STEPHEN A. DEPKEN CO
355 KINDERKAMACK RD.
ORADELL, N.J. 07649
FULL TIME PLANNING/ZONING BOARD SECRETARY ROBBINSVILLE TOWNSHIP, MERCER COUNTY, is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of full time Board Secretary. Interested candidates will possess a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a municipal, county or state government setting, NJ Board Secretary Certificate, and have knowledge of MLUL, OPRA, Records Retention, Edmunds and taking and preparing meeting minutes. The successful candidate must be extremely organized and detailed oriented, have excellent written and oral communication skills, be proficient in Word, Excel, & Outlook. Duties include, but are not limited to, preparation of monthly meeting agendas, meeting minutes and processing resolutions, attending all Board Meetings and other special meetings, reviewing and responding to OPRA requests, serving as custodian of government records and providing administrative support to the Community Development Department. Salary depending on experience.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED NO LATER THAN July 20, 2019 ONLINE AT: www.robbinsville-twp.org/residents/employment_opportunities.php RESUMES ONLY WILL NOT FULFILL REQUIREMENTS! NO PHONE CALLS! Robbinsville Township is an equal opportunity employer
Zoning Inspector, Township of Livingston (Building Department)
The Township of Livingston seeks a knowledgeable, organized candidate with property maintenance experience and great communication skills for the full-time position of Zoning Inspector. The Zoning Inspector performs a variety of administrative, technical, and professional work in the interpretation and enforcement of Township zoning laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations – including, but not limited to:
- Inspecting residential and commercial properties to ensure compliance.
- Investigating and documenting possible violations and taking appropriate action.
- Meeting with and assisting property owners regarding violations or required repairs and proper resolutions to non-compliance.
- Preparing and issuing notifications, warnings and violations information.
- Issuing summonses where appropriate and preparing reports; may testify in court proceedings.
- Keeping accurate documentation.
This position involves a majority (75%) of work performed in the field and frequent driving.
The Zoning Inspector must have thorough knowledge of local codes and ordinances, related legal procedures, and building construction practices. Must be able to: enforce regulations with firmness, tact, impartiality, and diplomacy; maintain cooperative working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, officials; and interact effectively and courteously with the public.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Any combination equivalent to a high school diploma and 1-3 years of experience in property maintenance and zoning codes. College coursework in planning, construction, or related subject preferred.
CERTIFICATION: Must have, or obtain within one year of hiring, a Zoning Officer Certification.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Valid driver’s license. Working knowledge of office computer use, specifically MS Office, Spatial Data Logic, Zoning and Property Maintenance programs.
APPLY: View the complete job description and apply online at livingstonnj.org/jobs.
The Township of Livingston is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
PLANNING BOARD/BOARD OF HEALTH SECRETARY – PART-TIME
BOROUGH OF FAR HILLS is seeking a highly organized individual, to serve as the Secretary to both the Planning Board and Board of Health. Attendance at monthly evening board meetings and additional office hours is required. Reporting to the Borough Clerk, duties include, but are not limited to, the preparation of monthly meeting agendas, minutes, processing resolutions and ordinances, reviewing and responding to OPRA requests as well as providing administrative support to the Clerk’s Office. The applicant will also review and handle inquiries regarding board applications as well as the maintenance of escrow accounts and assist in the processing of invoices and payments to board professionals. State certification as a Planning & Zoning Board Secretary, knowledge of MLUL and Edmunds software strongly preferred. EOE. Please send cover letter and resume to Dorothy S. Hicks, Borough Clerk at DHICKS@FARHILLSNJ.ORG
PT PLANNING BOARD SECRETARY- ALLENTOWN BOROUGH, Monmouth County, is seeking a dedicated and reliable person for the part-time position of Planning Board Secretary. Must be certified and have knowledge of Municipal Land Use Law, the Open Public Records Act, records retention, working effectively with professionals along with the timely processing of applications, preparing notices, agendas, taking minutes, and other duties as required. One meeting per month with additional hours required in the office. Send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to: Allentown Borough, Laurie A. Roth, Municipal Clerk, 8 North Main Street, PO Box 487, Allentown, NJ 08501. Or email Clerk@AllentownBoroNJ.com. Allentown Borough is an equal opportunity employer.